The Seniors Football World Cup Comes to Ubon Ratchathani

I don't think I'll ever tire of the excitement of an upcoming World Cup. They bring back great memories, especially of watching players from countries that seemed strange and exotic to me as a kid.

So, imagine my delight when I discovered that a World Cup was coming to Ubon Ratchathani, just an hour from home.

This wasn't the tournament I'd expected to see again. It was the 2026 Seniors World Cup, bringing former professionals and internationals over 40 to Ubon for a week of competitive football. For me, it was an opportunity too good to miss.


Living in Hope

As an England fan, I continued to live in hope of seeing my boys lift the trophy once again. My highlight came at Italia 90, when I travelled with my youngest brother Nick, as a penalty shoot-out in Turin left us in tears.

Moving to Thailand had probably brought my days of attending major international finals to an end. Not that I would be keen anyway on paying the exorbitant prices along with all the hassle involved. Doubly so, when the US is involved.

Therefore, I was delighted when I saw on Facebook that I could attend the World Cup after all, and it was only an hour from where we live. The 18th staging of the Seniors World Cup was being held over a week in Ubon Ratchathani. It was time for me to start planning and finding out any available information. 

The Seniors World Cup brings together former professional and international players aged over 40, representing their countries in a competitive tournament that has grown steadily in stature over the years.


Useful Assistance

I was fortunate that my mate Dale, from A Thai Football Podcast, had arranged an interview with David Jones, the Manchester-born USA head coach, one of the eight teams involved. I also found the Facebook pages for his team and the England side useful, helping me learn what I could before the tournament began.

The first day of June came around. I set off on the train to Ubon, not really knowing exactly what to expect in terms of how many people would go to watch and what would be provided for spectators. The Thai end of the publicity and information was, sadly, but not totally surprisingly, negligible.

Friendship Through Football

Meeting with my mate Kevin, who had flown in for the week from Chiang Mai, we arrived at the UBSSS (Ubon Ratchathani Sports School Stadium), where a shower threatened to spoil the fun before the skies cleared for what was an excellent opening ceremony. 

A school band led the procession around the track and onto the pitch. Each of the eight competing nations had schoolkids, flagbearers and a lady in an Isan costume representing them. The speeches were short and well-received in Thai and English before the opening game got underway.

The England players were taken aback by the support they received from the schoolkids on both sides of the stadium. Remarkable when considering the opponents were Thailand. 

Two teachers at the front, along with a drummer, got the kids singing repeated versions of "We Will Rock You" and "Vindaloo," to the astonishment of the farangs in the stadium.

The England Team Celebrates with its Supporters

The hosts were defeated 2-0 by a team containing Premier League and international star Gareth Barry, with a few thousand professional appearances spread among his teammates. The players were visibly moved at the end, applauding their supporters and posing for selfies while taking videos of their amazing memories.

I watched the Tuesday matches at home through the excellent YouTube coverage. With England and the USA both winning their first two games, their match at the UMT Stadium on Wednesday meant that the winners would benefit from an arguably easier semi-final tie.

If anyone were in any doubt that the Seniors World Cup matters to the players, those doubts would have been put to bed after watching this feisty encounter. The match became increasingly physical, and England ultimately benefited as frustration got the better of the Americans, who finished with ten men. 

The kids from the local Buddhist Orphan School were there once again, making a din and offering the England team their support. They added to the atmosphere at the UMT Stadium, where the total attendance numbered around 800.

It was a delightful day out all told, as my friend John drove us through. We played golf, then relaxed with food and drinks at Wrong Way Café, where Kevin was waiting for us and where the amiable owner opened early for us. A friendly local gave us some good tips for future visits when wanting food and drink. 

My YouTube Video of the Tournament

Semi-Final Action

Thursday was a day off regarding match action. However, the players and their backup teams were involved in a school's initiative. Youngsters received gifts and coaching, hopefully enhancing their love of the beautiful game. It was a pleasure to invite Kevin to our home for lunch, so he saw why I am so content in my rural surroundings.

Heading back to Ubon on the train on Friday, I was genuinely excited, while confident in England’s ability to win the game. Proper football weather of pouring rain accompanied me during the train journey and then again while Kevin and I enjoyed a late lunch and drinks by the Mun River.

Once England broke through the Australian defence, the result was rarely in doubt. The defeated side gave it their all despite suffering a few injuries during the match. One of their players was stretchered off, although there were later reports — possibly aided by a few beers — that he had made a miraculous recovery at Tawandang nightclub.

The kids were there once again. It was quite possibly the occasion, or perhaps, having imbibed, I decided to teach them how to chant after a certain drumbeat. The reaction was one of bemusement, amusement, and polite smiles and applause.

The other semifinal in the Seniors World Cup saw France defeat the USA on penalties, which meant they would face their old adversaries in the final. John met me once again to drive through and meet Kevin, allowing the three of us quality time in a quaint Italian pizza restaurant in the old town.

A Vibrant Atmosphere at UMT Stadium

The Final

We arrived to see the USA take third place after defeating the depleted Aussies. Up the road, two games in the Masters, played between the four teams who finished in the bottom two places of the initial groups, took place. Taiwan defeated Laos in the wooden spoon game, while Thailand defeated New Zealand, providing local pride.

At the UMT Stadium, England put on a professional performance to sweep the French aside 4-0. In truth, the final score could have been far bigger if they hadn’t spurned so many chances. The Gallic goalie had a fantastic match.

The celebrations among the England squad showed just how much they wanted to win. It was wonderful to see them include the kids and continue to connect, with lots of supporters going onto the pitch. The team signed endless autographs and posed for selfies while also enjoying their own moments.

It was only an overage tournament, with eight teams taking part, but I thought it was magnificent on so many levels. I'm a lucky man. I went to Italia 90 and Euro 96, both iconic England tournaments, yet Ubon 26 will live with me for years to come.

I saw players I’d previously paid to see or watched on TV competing near where I live in a corner of Thailand where westerners aren’t in abundance. All the competing teams embraced the event and the city of Ubon, providing the supporters with entertainment over a glorious week of football. 

Best of all, they gave lots of youngsters an amazing time. You cannot buy that.

Gareth Barry with his Admirers

If you enjoyed this story, feel free to check out my YouTube Channel, where I share videos about everyday life in Thailand, local football, and travel across the country, which includes the video I made during the tournament.

If you are interested in finding out more about football in Thailand, you may enjoy my dedicated blog, Thai Football Fever, containing valuable information, match visits and independent articles.

Thanks for reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Rural Sisaket Became Home