Discovering Kanthararom – A Market Town in Sisaket
Many of my family and friends knew that I would eventually relocate to Thailand, knowing it was a decision I had made. But even I was unsure about what lay ahead when I met Taew, and we were heading to live in rural Sisaket as a married couple. I certainly hadn’t heard of the nearest town of Kanthararom.
Background to Kanthararom
Sisaket Province is split into 22 districts or amphoes. Our home is in Nam Kliang, around 21 kilometres from Sisaket city. Directly north of us is Kanthararom, which, like all districts, is split into several separate sub-districts or tambons, including the town itself.Kanthararom has a population of over 100,000, with around a tenth of that living in the town. It sits on Route 226, which connects Ubon Ratchathani with Sisaket and other towns west, meaning plenty of people pass through its centre. It also has a railway station taking a similar route to the road.
Kanthararom’s Importance to Me
My first visit to Sisaket also introduced me to Kanthararom as Taew wanted an afternoon visit to the market. It is a large, covered area with stalls selling fresh food, fruit and vegetables. It was busy enough when we went, but I was told that it’s at its peak early in the morning when the meats have just been delivered, and locals and businesses purchase their goods.A couple of small shopping areas branch off from the market building. No matter what you require, there will usually be somewhere in Kanthararom to assist. The street a few blocks back running parallel to the main road through town is especially useful, as is the one that runs to the railway station.
To give you an idea of the role the town plays, since moving to Sisaket, we've bought indoor and outdoor furniture, food for our frogs and chickens, gardening equipment, fencing for the garden, parts for my bicycle, and we do much of our weekly shopping in the town.
Something I really like is that when a shop doesn’t have what you are looking for, it will tell you somewhere nearby that might. I think that’s great. And because it’s only 20 minutes in the car to the station, it is often the gateway to my big day out of the week.
My Days Out Start Here
Taew deposits me there, where the same friendly chap is often behind the counter at the ticket office, chatting in basic English and smiling away, trying to guess whether I'm heading to Ubon or Sisaket that day. The area outside the station also plays a part in our shopping, with several stalls specialising in gai yang.Gai Yang is a large, flat barbecued piece of chicken on a stick. They cost around 50 THB (£1.15) and can be eaten hot or cold. Some vendors board trains to sell them as well as other products, including bugs.
The vendors stay on the train for a few stops, walking through the carriages before catching another train back in the opposite direction. It certainly beats the old British Rail overpriced buffet car.
My other option of getting to the two destinations either side of Kanthararom is by small bus. The stop is now based at an office on the main road after relocating from the market a few years ago but remains haphazard if you want to plan and stick to an itinerary.
You turn up and tell the person at the desk where you want to go. They telephone the bus to see if there is any space. There is no timetable as such; vehicles leave once they're close to capacity at their departure point. You sometimes get an approximate waiting time.
A Different Town After Dark
If I visit Sisaket, I have a driver who takes me straight home from the football stadium or wherever I’m socialising. However, if returning from Ubon, I’m usually on the last train arriving in Kanthararom after 9 pm. It is a very different place by that time than it is earlier in the day.Many small towns are the same around Thailand. The small streets are deserted. An occasional business might still be open, like a bar we tried once near the station. We are unlikely to return unless I want to surprise visiting friends by taking them there. It makes us laugh each time we pass.
That’s not to say that Kanthararom shuts completely. Route 226 has several bars and restaurants, with live music in some, staying open late into the night. Those who want a greater choice of places to eat and drink coffee are also well served during daylight hours.
Sorting Out Administration
Kanthararom has provided me with advantages when I have needed to deal with administrative tasks. For instance, it has a large branch of the bank where I hold my Thai account. There are times when I need a balance sheet or a copy of the account when I go to the immigration office to update my visa.I find it easier at this local branch, especially with my wife in tow in case I need someone to speak in Thai. Having her and our relatives' local knowledge meant sorting out the legal paperwork for our marriage was easy at the Kanthararom government office.
The same was true of arranging a will. If you are married to a Thai and want a legal will, I heartily recommend going to the local government office. They sent me across the road to the public hospital where I had a check for blood pressure and a quick question and answer with a doctor who declared me fit.
We returned to the government official who filled out the forms and asked me to sign where required. Everything was handled quickly and efficiently for less than 500 THB, which is far less than an agent would likely charge.
My Thoughts
For anyone living outside a city in Thailand, it is worth checking out your nearest town. They are likely to supply the shops and services anyone requires and can often be cheaper than using the stores of the big brand names. Plus, you meet people eager to assist.When people imagine moving abroad, they often picture famous landmarks and tourist attractions. In reality, places like Kanthararom soon become far more important. It's where we shop, catch the train, sort out paperwork, meet familiar faces and gradually feel part of everyday life. It may never appear on many visitors' itineraries, but for me it has become one of the most important towns in Thailand.
If you enjoyed this story, feel free to check out my YouTube Channel, where I share videos about everyday life in Thailand, local football, and travel across the country.
Thanks for reading.
.png)

Comments
Post a Comment