A Reminder of the Importance of Activity in Retirement

There are many pleasures and wonderful things associated with being an expat in Thailand in retirement. The climate and cost of living are two obvious attractions, but to get the most out of living here, it is important to look after one’s body and mind. Good mental and physical health are connected and crucial anywhere, but especially after relocating.



I was reminded of the importance of exercise this morning. Since we returned from our little break by the coast, I had been feeling a little under the weather. It may well have been down to picking up an infection, not being properly protected against the climate, or simply overdoing things over the previous few months.

My wrist was still giving me pain, as I explained in “Our Road Trip to Koh Chang”, and it affected me more than I realised. Taew and I had gone out for a couple of hours, me on my bicycle around the local country lanes and her following in the buggy, but something didn’t feel right.

The Importance of Exercise Remembered

I’d done some light stretching at home each morning before finally feeling up to one of my cycle routes, which prompted me to pen this piece. Just how beautiful it was to see the red sun rising across the countryside, feel the breeze, talk to the dogs, as is my way, and get the blood pumping around my body. Everything seemed good in the world.

It felt as though getting my body moving also switched my brain back on. Ideas and solutions were found for simple problems that can be made harder when sitting around or lying awake.

Easy to Get into a Rut

While I tried to be creative in the meantime at home, writing, updating my blog, exploring financial opportunities and the like, it is all stuff that can create undue stress if it's not done for fun, on top of being active, getting out, and interacting, even if only with nature.

There is no way I would tell anyone how to live because none of us is the same, and we have different priorities. But it’s easy to see how those who live the same routine and turn to alcohol as a hobby can have negative effects.

Don’t Overdo Things

It can be very easy to forget our age at times, especially when we live somewhere we feel is close to paradise. The sun coming out can encourage us to go out and have fun, which is good. However, it’s also easy to eat and drink too much without any time constraints.
I try, unless we are away or with friends, to limit my excesses to a day a week in town around a game of golf, a bar and restaurant, and then attending a game of football so I look forward to it rather than it being a habit.

The same is true of exercise. When I lived in England, it wasn’t unusual to miss work, visit the local A&E department or a hospital ward, or to come limping out of some social club or pub after playing Sunday League football. 

Throughout my 30s, there were plenty of men of that age who thought they could emulate the athletes they watched on Match of the Day. It’s little wonder the NHS was stretched.

Remember Your Age

It can be so easy to forget how old you are. As I write this, I am not far from being 61, yet I try to push myself as though I am preparing for a new football season. Not that I did that properly back in the day, which might explain why I am harsh on myself now.

Simple stuff like a decent stroll, stretching, cycling or light jogging will suffice, especially outside when the brain is exposed to fresh air. As my dad used to say, it makes you hungry, thirsty, and you sleep better. He also advised me to enjoy doing everything in moderation, which is probably the key.

Enjoy Every Day

Whatever you get up to, it’s important to enjoy every day and take positives from it, no matter how simple they seem. It might be getting a task completed that’s been put off for a while, updating details so payments arrive on time, or watching a movie you’ve been wanting to see for ages, along with a little exercise.

If you enjoyed this story, feel free to check out my YouTube Channel, where I share videos about everyday life in Thailand, local football, and travel across the country.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Rural Sisaket Became Home