A Weekend in Prachuap Kiri Khan and Samut Sakhon

 It was January 2023, and life was good. Taew and I were looking forward to our wedding in a couple of months, and we were getting ready to move from Minburi to Sisaket. But before we did, I wanted to make the most of our central location and fit in a few more adventures, so a trip along the western Gulf to Prachuap Kiri Khan for an overnight stay with a scenic stop at Don Hoi Lot along the way was just the job.


Smart Planning

While I’d been to Hua Hin several times, and Phuket farther south, I was yet to discover the coastline, where friends told me there were some incredible places to enjoy. At this point I should declare an interest.

The football team I support when in Bangkok is Port FC. It just so happened that they were playing away from home on a Saturday night against Prachuap FC. I told Taew that I wanted to go to the game, but we would do whatever she wanted for the rest of the trip, which is why I think our relationship worked well.

The Journey

Setting off bright and early, we used the tollway to get through the city and reach Rama II, which was still a maze of roadworks that would eventually reduce traffic congestion. It was a relief to pass the high boards which enclosed the area before we got ready for our halfway stop.

I had been to Samut Songkhram city for those of you who want to read about it. 10 kilometres south of there on the coast is the small settlement of Don Hoi Lot by the mouth of the Mae Klong. We parked and looked around the temple before continuing to the promenade.

We watched local fishermen at work and then chose one of the restaurants sitting on stilts over the water to enjoy an early lunch of fresh seafood, including the local speciality, razor clams known as hoi lot. It proved to be a nice attraction and well worth the detour.

Don Hoi Lot

Welcome to Prachuap Kiri Khan

It took a bit longer than I expected before we arrived in Prachuap Kiri Khan in mid-afternoon. Rather than checking in at our hotel, Taew wanted to explore, which would save us time later, driving us past the football stadium to the foot of Wat Khao Chong Krachok.

The temple stands at the top of a small mountain and could be reached by driving up a steep, narrow lane or by climbing up the steps on foot. I was surprised, but happy, when we chose to exercise, keeping a close eye on the wild monkeys, who thankfully seemed tame and unconcerned by yet more tourists.

We needed to stop a few times on the steep climb, but the effort was well worth it. The views stretched along the coastline across a series of bays, while the town below revealed its layout. The caves built into the cliffs were just as fascinating as the temple itself.


Taew approved of my hotel choice, which is always a bonus. It was clean, modern, with a safe car park in a decent location on Su Suek Road, just a block behind the seafront. Sitting at the open-fronted Timber Hut Café with a cold beer, watching the waves crash against the sea wall across the road was simply perfect.

Taew didn’t fancy going to the game, preferring to relax in the room watching TV, but first she helped me sort out my travel to the stadium. She spoke to the helpful receptionist and arranged a taxi for me, which was not what I expected. 

A Great Matchday Experience

I had seen a happy old chap going past in the street a couple of times on his motorcycle with a box attached containing two planks. It didn’t register that this was the taxi. It was a motorcycle with a sidecar. He charged me just 50 THB (£1.15) to the Sam Ao Stadium.

Some friendly expats told me where I could buy my ticket for the away fans section, where a table had been set up outside, giving away free food to those cheering for Port. I thought it was an unbelievable gesture. The beer stalls were at the far side of the arena, and again, I encountered friendly, welcoming people.

A Taxi - Prachuap Style


The match was decent enough and ended in a 1-1 draw, as the home team snatched a late equaliser. I got talking to another Port expat. Jamie and his wife, Mam, lived in Cha Am just up the coast. They had travelled down by train for their first game in three years, and it turned out that they were staying in accommodation near us.

At full time, Mam phoned the same guy who had taken them in his sidecar taxi to the game, who then arranged for a friend to pick us up from outside the main gate. I telephoned Taew, who was waiting by our hotel when we returned, ready to go for food and drinks.

Saturday Night in Prachuap

The pair of us headed to the night market set up in front of the Muang Prachuap Khiri Khan District Office. I was ready for some food, having tried just a couple of sticks of tasty small meatballs in sauce at the stadium since lunchtime. Taew chose the food, which was tasty and cheap. 

We then returned to the Blue Monkey bar adjacent to our hotel for a couple of drinks and a chat with some of the fans waiting for the train back towards Bangkok to round off an excellent day.

Mahachai Market, Samut Sakhon

A Stop in Samut Sakhon

Travelling all the way to Bangkok without a stop would have been a waste with plenty of options available to break the journey. Our choice was Samut Sakhon, somewhere I passed through on my first visit to Samut Songkhram. 

On this occasion, it was vibrant, approaching lunchtime, with many out and about in Mahachai Market around the railway station. The river was busy with the ferry taking passengers across to Tha Chalom peninsula and fishing boats moored with their catch.

We took time to wander around, visiting the city’s Pillar Shrine Park and buying seafood to take home to enjoy on Sunday evening. It was easy to understand why Mahachai has such a reputation for seafood, and it is certainly a town I wanted to return to and make a video for my YouTube Channel. 

My YouTube Video of the Weekend

Beaten By Technology

I needed a new smartphone, with the one I brought from the UK fading fast. We arranged to meet Taew’s son, Cartoon, who works in IT at Fashion Island not far from home. I learned a couple of valuable lessons.

Because I didn’t have my passport with me, I gave the cash to Taew, who purchased the phone in her name, with each model requiring registration. Banks would later rule that a phone had to be registered in the name of an account holder to continue to use online banking. I had to change my number with the hassle that goes with it.

Later the same day, I realised that it was best to leave technology in the hands of those who understand it. I spent several hours entering contact details manually into the new phone. Cartoon arrived for dinner and completed the process automatically within a few minutes. A great weekend indeed!

If you enjoyed this story, feel free to check out my YouTube Channel, where I share videos about everyday life in Thailand, local football, and travel across the country, which includes our trip to Prachuap and Samut Sakhon.

Thanks for reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Rural Sisaket Became Home