Koh Chang Beach Cricket Tournament

People are often surprised when I mention that one of my hobbies in Thailand is cricket. Even more so when I explain that some Thais play, and the sport is becoming increasingly popular with youngsters. Expats help coach and attend tournaments around the country, with touring teams participating. The Koh Chang Beach Cricket Tournament is among the most popular events.


Background to the Koh Chang Beach Cricket Tournament

Back in 2016, a group of English expats on Koh Chang set up the first Koh Chang Beach Cricket Tournament. They played at Klong Song Bay on the sand in front of the Shambala Resort, where they retired for post-match drinks. After enjoying games among themselves and encouraging local youngsters to get involved, they decided to put on a tournament and invite teams.

Steve Perry, owner of Serenity Resort, led the operation. Teams from established cricket and social clubs accepted the invitation to take part over a weekend in August, when the tide was far enough out to provide a reasonably sized playing area. The idea was an immediate success.

My 2025 Video of the Tournament

My Involvement

My cricket background in Thailand goes back to 2006, when I first visited the Chiang Mai International Cricket Sixes. Over the years, I have been a spectator, player, umpire, commentator, MC, and committee member. I have also been heavily involved in other tournaments around the country.

I met Steve Perry in Chiang Mai through my colleagues. He kindly invited me to his event, which I attended for the first time in 2022. I assist as an official, occasionally umpiring, but mainly manning the mic. 

The following year, I was married, so I went with my wife, Taew. She enjoys meeting friends old and new while I’m busy with the cricket. During the tournament’s 10th anniversary in 2025, I made a YouTube video covering the event.

How Does it Work?

Games are played on an artificial mat wicket laid on rolled sand to provide a firm surface. Bowling is only from one end. Each team consists of 6 players. The tournament rules are simple but clever. 

Each of the six players bowls one five-ball over. Each of the 6 players bats for one over. If they are dismissed, they are deducted 5 runs. Fielders rotate positions at the end of each over so everyone stays involved. Each match lasts 30 minutes.

Special rules add to the fun and make it easier to understand and officiate. A batter only runs halfway along the mat and returns to complete a run. That means they can only be run out at one end. Bowlers who deliver wides or a no-ball don’t re-bowl them but are penalised by increasing multiples of runs.

To add to the fun, if a batter ends an over on a zero or negative total, they are thrown into an ice-filled inflatable duck pond. The full team incurs the same penalty if they don’t reach a positive score. If a batter hits a ball into the resort pool without bouncing, they score 12 runs. It’s non-stop fun for spectators and players alike.

A Great Social Occasion

Undoubtedly, the tournament’s best feature is that you don’t need to be cricket experts. Everyone is welcome, including players of all levels and backgrounds, regardless of age or gender. Friends connect while watching a game or relaxing around the resort, often sipping cocktails in the pool. 

Teams try their best to win, but having fun is the priority. Social events are held on a couple of evenings with local businesses sponsoring the event. Details of which are on the tournament Facebook page.

From 2025, the event was extended to 4 days, commencing with a kids' game on Thursday afternoon. On the final day, anyone who doesn’t play in the tournament is invited to join a fun game.

To Conclude

The annual Koh Chang Beach Cricket Tournament is cricket in a different form, providing non-stop action and fun as participants and locals gather to have a great time on the paradise island. Long may it continue.

If you enjoyed this story, feel free to check out my YouTube Channel, where I share videos about everyday life in Thailand, local football, and travel across the country, including one featuring Koh Chang as well as the Beach Cricket.

Thanks for reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Rural Sisaket Became Home