Discovering Pak Nam
One of Bangkok’s many beauties is that there is no reason for anyone to be bored with so many activities catering for all tastes. And because of the quantity on offer, it is possible to arrange a day out within range of the capital that covers several places, as my day in and around Pak Nam proved.
Best of all, they're close enough together to visit comfortably in a single day using Bangkok's excellent public transport system.
Background to Pak Nam
Pak Nam is a town in Samut Prakan Province, joining onto the south-east tip of Bangkok. It has a rich history, developing as a natural port and trading post, with the original Bangkok to Pak Nam Railway providing additional access. The town’s culture combines southern Thai traditions and maritime links, with daily life including fishing and its seafood market.My Day Out
Since I began adding quality videos to my YouTube Channel, I wanted to explore more and include places that would interest viewers and be fun for me to visit. I had explored most of the places I will describe before, but not in one day. Before I set out, I decided the order I’d visit them and went to Bangkapi to catch the overhead Yellow Line monorail, which made getting there easier since it opened.Erawan Museum
After changing at Samrong station to the BTS Skytrain, it was a couple of stops to my destination at Chang Erawan. From there, I walked back, following the line to the museum gates, which took around ten minutes. I had visited a few years before with Steve and Fah but failed to capture it properly on film. Something I could do when taking my time.The first thing to note was that the admission fee was 500 THB (£11.15) on my visit in April 2026, which is quite expensive compared to similar attractions. Once inside the grounds, the majestic gardens with water features and elephant models provide a fitting backdrop for the museum’s centrepiece.
Many visitors pass the giant three-headed elephant when travelling on the elevated highway towards Hua Hin and the west of the country, often left wondering what it is. That is how it first caught my attention and made me want to visit to find out more.
Inside the body of the building is incredible artwork that can be dated back to ancient times. Sculptures line the beautifully designed staircase, while the glass-domed roof has the colourful markings of a globe. The elephant stands above it, signifying that he is protecting the earth and the valuable sacred belongings inside the building.
It is quite a climb up narrow stairs inside the elephant's head, where there is a temple with more priceless artefacts. I relaxed and took in the surroundings, appreciating how lucky I was to visit such places when there were hardly any others looking round.
The museum is somewhere I’d recommend spending plenty of time at. There are places to sit in the gardens, and the usual café and souvenir shops that form the exit.
My YouTube Video of the Day Out
Naval Museum
While it was one stop down the line to the Royal Thai Naval Academy for my next attraction, I decided to order a Grab taxi to cut down on walking and climbing stairs. I was dropped at the gates and walked around the turfed square to the museum building.A serving officer greeted me and asked me to fill out the visitors' book before explaining that admission was free, and I could walk around by following the numbers and arrows. This was the same as in the previous visit, which included Erawan Museum with Steve and Fah.
On our previous visit, it was useful to have a local with us, as a member of staff took us around and explained everything to her as she acted as interpreter. It revealed where we could see the vessels that took part in the Royal Barge Parade, which we visited on our day out “Museums, Boats and Chinatown Fun in Bangkok”.
This time I was the only visitor, allowing me to film without interruption. The museum includes many scaled-down models of navy ships and barges, an exhibition of uniforms over the years, plus lots of equipment and memorabilia.
It is somewhere that might not hold the attention of visiting tourists for too long, but it is a handy place to head on a rainy day to fill some time or to bolt it onto other attractions as I was doing, not least as it cost nothing to enter.
Pak Nam
Pak Nam BTS Station is just one more stop along the line. I was to return to start my journey home later in the day, but in the meantime, I headed towards the large indoor market and the vibrant daily life on Sri Samut Road.It was a hot day, making the smells of the market even more distinct. It is recommended to drink plenty of liquids in such conditions, as it can be tiring if not rehydrated. While some of the scenes inside the market are not for the squeamish, it is well worth a look to see how locals go about their business.
I asked the traders if it was OK to film, so as not to offend. Some of them went the extra mile to show off their techniques. It is an earthy part of the country, ideal for those who want to capture a piece of what I call ‘real Thailand’.
Ferry Over the Chao Phraya
I knew from research that the ferry across the river could sometimes be tricky depending on the tide. I had put it off once before, as explained in Discovering Samut Prakan Learning Park & Tower when the weather defeated Steve and me. This time my mind was made up.The ferry is small, loud, and dirty, making it a perfect local way to travel. The fare was just 8 THB, with the ride taking around half an hour. This was because of the low tide, as the pilot had to steer carefully, avoiding the mudbanks, where storks seemed to be in their element.
We continued around the island, where Phi Suea Samut Fort Museum is located, formerly standing guard against those wanting to invade Bangkok, to Phra Samut Chedi Pier. Sadly, the Viboonsri Bridge connecting it appeared to be shut. Maybe I’d return another day to see it at close quarters and take the nature walk.
The Port indoor market, located by the entrance to the pier, looked like it might have been closing for the day. I bought more water and decided it was time for some exercise, as I walked to Phra Samut Chedi, a pagoda and temple.
Phra Samut Chedi
Sometimes when exploring, you come across a hidden gem that can be the highlight of the day. This wasn't quite one of those occasions. It was undoubtedly a fine building surrounded by interesting gardens by the promenade. But it needed some tender loving care.Something I noticed since moving to Thailand was just how many temples had not been maintained and didn’t look good. That might be due to visitor numbers and donations falling during the pandemic, or other local issues.
The plus point for this chedi was that extensive work was ongoing on one of the outbuildings, so perhaps the main structure was next in line. Not to worry. I crossed the river and back cheaply, and discovered somewhere new, making it worth my time. I had one more attraction to visit.
Samut Prakan Learning Park & Tower
The tower had been the backdrop to the past few hours; its magnificent, elegant form dominating the skyline. As you may be able to detect, I’m quite fond of it. Despite several visits, I wanted some better footage from the viewing level, especially as the weather was perfect for filming.Something didn’t seem quite right. There weren’t as many people around as I expected, even though some were scattered around sitting in the entrance hall. There was nobody at the reception desk, but a youngster pointed me towards the lift.
I wasn’t entirely sure this was the same way I had accessed the top floors before, but I pressed the button to the highest level. I walked out to find myself in the administration area and the CEO’s office. I quickly went back down to the ground floor and wandered around to see what was happening.
Going back outside, I saw a notice, curled and nearly falling off the door, stating that the tower was closed due to structural damage caused by the earthquake over a year earlier. You would have thought someone would be employed to avoid such misunderstandings.
It was as well I was a harmless YouTuber, rather than someone with malicious intent. While the entrance to the park had two older lady security guards, they cheerfully waved me through. No harm was done; I still had a story to tell, and I could look back fondly at my previous visits.
My advice is to check that the viewing deck and museum are open before setting off. Even if it's closed, the illuminated tower at night is highly recommended for a train ride, as it’s easy to reach by BTS from central Bangkok.
My Summing Up
Bangkok has clusters of attractions that can provide a quality day out if planned properly. The effort to go a little further afield to Pak Nam will be rewarded by anyone who enjoys Thai culture, history, the vibrancy of everyday life and exploring parts of Greater Bangkok that many visitors never get to see.If you enjoyed this story, feel free to check out my YouTube Channel, where I share videos about everyday life in Thailand, local football, and travel across the country.
Thanks for reading.
Comments
Post a Comment