A Rural Thai Rocket Festival in Roi Et and the Legend of Auntie Lamyong

After enjoying my first Bun Fai rocket festival, it didn’t take long before another opportunity appeared — this time in rural Roi Et, with Auntie Lamyong joining the adventure. I had fun at my first delve into the Isan tradition, and now that I knew what went on, I wanted to have another look. For the uninitiated, click here to read a previous article that explains the background of Thai rocket festivals. 


An Upgrade in Comfort

Heading to Another Bun Fai

The latest Bun Fai was in Ban Phon Sai, ninety minutes from home, and again in Roi Et Province. This time, before collecting Auntie Lamyong and her husband, Wah, Taew, her mum and I were properly prepared, learning from our previous experience. Best of all, I was given the role of navigator. I like people who learn from their mistakes!

Once we reached the right district, the stream of traffic gave the game away. On this occasion, it was a local temple cashing in, using their grounds as a car park. From there, it was around ten minutes to where the rockets were being launched.

Again, I was the proverbial pack-horse, carrying bags, fold-up chairs and a table — rather like Richard Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances being loaded up by Hyacinth. We found the site, having wandered through a scene that could well have been a backdrop to a cowboy Western or Peaky Blinders.

Base Camp at the Rocket Festival

It was no surprise to find plenty of stalls to buy food, drink, and clothing. What we needed was somewhere to base camp. We found the ideal place, under a large gazebo, set up by some entrepreneurial locals. It was in the shade, we could hire a fan, and there was a bar at the back. There was a charge for the day, but it was reasonable and well worth it.

While we had some food in the bags, the ladies headed off to buy plenty more so that we had plenty to choose from, plus a cold beer whenever we fancied one. This was more like it. It was only a minute or so walk from the launch platforms, and we could see them from the tent if we wanted to do so.

A Local Youngster Providing Entertainment

How Auntie Lamyong Got Her Name

Watching Auntie Lamyong enjoying herself at the festival reminded me of how we first became friends. We were very close. It is not her proper name, with Lamyong meaning a lady who cannot leave the booze alone. On my first visit to the family home with my future wife, the lady relatives and friends met and had a sociable afternoon waiting to inspect this foreigner.

I think Taew was more nervous than I was. We sat at a table alone to eat and drink. The others were assembled on a small, raised platform, sitting on the deck without chairs. I grasped the opportunity to make an instant impression and went to sit in the middle of them despite having very little Thai vocabulary.

This one lady was drinking shots of lao khao, the local rice whisky. It’s not the most pleasant of tastes, but I said I wanted to have one to say, “chock dee,” as Thais offer cheers. Then she wanted another one. No problem. Then another. I told her jai yen yen, meaning calm down, and called her Lamyong.

It was probably a risk, but I need not have worried. Everyone roared with laughter. I’d only known Na Id, as she’s known, for half an hour, and I called her what everyone else was thinking. We have been close ever since, her calling me tilak (darling) and me telling her not to hug me as it makes my wife jealous, which of course is only a joke.

Drinks with Auntie Lamyong

Betting, Beer and Bun Fai

Anyway, back to the festival. The pair of ladies had gone missing for a while, so I asked Taew where they might be. It turns out that Auntie Lamyong also enjoyed a punt on such events. She returned, looking rather glum after losing her money. I consoled her, remembering my occasions on a racetrack ending in financial ruin over the years.

A Fine End to the Day

We stayed until around 4 pm, when everyone had seen enough, packed up and returned to our car. Heading back to Sisaket, I suggested we go to a restaurant before returning home. A fine meal was enjoyed. Naturally, Lamyong and I had beers, with Wah, who doesn’t drink too often, waving the white flag and getting stuck into the Leo.

It may have been a smaller rocket festival, but between cold beers, countryside rockets and plenty of laughs with Auntie Lamyong, it turned into one of those wonderfully ordinary Sundays in rural Thailand that somehow stay with you.

If you enjoyed this story, feel free to check out my YouTube Channel, where I share videos about everyday life in Thailand, local football, and travel across the country.

Thanks for reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Rural Sisaket Became Home