Discovering Mon Bridge: Another Side of Kanchanaburi
Back in 2012, I visited Kanchanaburi for the first time, with an overnight stay in the city to visit the famous sights and appreciate its history, which was backed up a decade later after moving to Thailand. What I didn't realise was just how much more the province had to offer beyond the city. A stay near Mon Bridge would eventually prove that.
Mon Bridge Basics
My relationship with Taew had progressed past simple friendship, and we were enjoying some wonderful trips together, staying in nice places. She was full of ideas for us to visit places I hadn’t even heard of, which I was all in favour of.
My naivety came to the fore when she mentioned that she wanted to visit Mon Bridge. I spent the next hour or so going through the various hotel apps and websites trying to find accommodation under that name. I had no idea it was the name of a place. It was time for me to do some basic research.
Uttamanusorn, or Mon Bridge, or Saphan Mon in Thai, is the country's longest wooden bridge, measuring 850 metres, and the second longest anywhere. It is also believed to be the third-longest bridge in the world that people can walk across.
The bridge is in a relatively remote part of Kanchanaburi, not far from the Myanmar border, by the small village of Wang Kha in Sangkhla Buri District, sitting at one end of the bridge that crosses the Songaria River. From Minburi, where we lived at the time, it would take approximately 6 hours to reach by car.
| Vajiralongkorn Dam |
An Early Departure
Generally, whenever we were heading anywhere, I would be out of bed early, showered, and waiting for Taew outside my condo block. On this occasion, I felt slightly deflated and tired, having got up to watch England defeated by France in the World Cup before grabbing a bit more sleep.
I kept telling myself, "It's only a game," although I wasn't convincing anyone - least of all myself. We soon headed off over Nonthaburi Bridge, beating the Sunday morning traffic. By now the football had been put on the back burner, as Taew told me that a date had been pencilled in for our wedding the following March.
Her mum had looked at the dates, the weather, and the other small details that needed sorting in Sisaket. All looked good to me, as I relaxed while carrying out my directional duties as we travelled west past Nakhon Pathom and then towards Kanchanaburi.
Uncharted Waters
We went around the city, continuing along Route 323. Sai Yok Noi Waterfall and signs for Hellfire Pass were seen as we encountered some steep climbs and stunning scenery in Sai Yok National Park, and then Khao Laem National Park.
The unfamiliar mountain roads looked challenging, so I was delighted when Taew pulled over for a short break at Vajiralongkorn Dam on the Khwae Noi River. We relaxed and took an extended break at the nearby skywalk, by a golf resort and café, before getting on with the last leg of the journey.
More undulating landscape followed for the two-hour journey. I think we were both relieved when we arrived at Mon Village and parked up under the end of the bridge. We both agreed over the next few hours that the effort had been well worth it.
| View from Mon Bridge |
Mon Bridge
Lots of market traders tried to sell us their wares. Both of us bought hats to provide some shade. The walk along the wooden structure was dramatic, looking down on the boat trips being enjoyed, which we put in our memory bank. A drink and snacks at the open-sided Mao Deep Bar and Restaurant were just what the doctor ordered.
Back on the other side, we stopped for more refreshments at a delightful café with incredible views. When we returned to the car, Taew spoke to one of the boat operators and asked how things worked, so we could plan the following day, after she took his phone number.
The hotel we chose was called Wangka Resort. I'll admit the name appealed to my schoolboy sense of humour, but as it turned out, it was an excellent choice. Following a brief siesta, it was time to explore.
Sangkhla Buri Walking Street was busy enough, with lots of stalls, including the one where I bought a shirt made of light material. The food options weren’t what we were looking for, but I’m sure they would have been a better option than the restaurant we chose near the road bridge. The lack of customers was a telltale sign.
A Boat on the Water
Breakfast at our accommodation was excellent. Taew phoned the boatman from the day before, and sure enough, he was waiting for us by the riverbank. We paid 500 THB (£11.15) each for the 90-minute tour, with just the pair of us on the longboat.
Our pilot was most helpful, explaining to Taew what we would see before describing each attraction in more detail once we arrived. Wat Wang Wiwekaram, known to tourists as the Underwater Temple submerged in Khao Laem reservoir, was just visible above the water level, with the clear water allowing us to see more below the surface.
We were taken over to the far bank and to a traditional Mon village. Again, locals tried to sell us their products, but we had bought all we needed by then. Our man understood and instead took us for a longer ride, before picking up speed whenever it was safe. It is another feature I’d recommend to anyone as part of their trip.
| Intrepid Sailors by the Underwater Temple |
A Glimpse of Myanmar
Because we’d got up earlier than most, it meant we’d completed our boat trip with time to head to the Myanmar border at Three Pagodas Pass. This links the Thai town of Nong Lu with Payathonzu through the control point.
It was photogenic enough and filled in some worthwhile time, with goods from Myanmar available in the many shops. We took back a box of Myanmar beer. It was so cheap it would have been crazy not to, working out at about 20 THB a can.
Heading Back
The return journey to Kanchanaburi was broken with a stop at Sai Yok Noi Waterfall. The attraction was busy, with youngsters enjoying splashing around in the water. We opted for the delicious homemade coconut ice cream served inside a coconut shell.
Next to the waterfall is the railway halt, where some trains go past the regular stopping point at Nam Tok Station, 1.4 kilometres away. A train was on the platform during our visit, with plenty of information available for the tourists who head that far.
| Stocking Up on Essential Supplies by the Myanmar Border |
Tips for those Wanting to Visit Mon Bridge
- If driving, be aware of the mountainous roads and take your time.
- Take regular stops and visit the many attractions on the route.
- Perhaps take one of the regular services from Kanchanaburi Bus Terminal to relax and enjoy the view.
- If border regulations allow, consider crossing into Myanmar to experience another culture.
- Take a boat tour at Mon Bridge, after negotiating a price beforehand.
My Thoughts
Mon Bridge is somewhere I probably wouldn't have considered visiting had I not been in a relationship with a Thai. It’s a beautiful part of the country, often left undiscovered by Westerners, and is well worth the effort to go and stay in one of the many resorts.
If you enjoyed this story, feel free to check out my YouTube Channel, where I share videos about everyday life in Thailand, local football, and travel across the country, including our visit to Mon Bridge.
Thanks for reading.
Comments
Post a Comment