An Afternoon Bangkok Tour
It’s always nice when friends back in the UK visit Thailand and get in touch wanting to meet up. While for many that means something as simple as a bar crawl in the nightlife areas of Sukhumvit Road, others want something a bit more. Like the pair who asked me to devise a tour to fill a few hours one Monday afternoon.
| The Guide and His Intrepid Tourists |
Recommending as a Local
Andy and Steve were over and staying in Bangkok for a long weekend after their stay in Pattaya. I had met them on the Saturday and taken them with Gary, an old mate from Buriram, to watch Port FC play against Nakhon Ratchasima. A splendid evening was enjoyed, with thoughts then being directed to a couple of days later.The pair fancied an easy Sunday. England were playing in the Cricket World T20 final, so they found themselves a bar to relax in and enjoy the action. I sent them the link to an attraction that I knew they’d appreciate for the following lunchtime before I met them.
Meanwhile, I got my thinking cap on at home while also watching the game. My brief was that the tour would ideally comprise some sights, plenty of walking, some different modes of transport and things they were unlikely to have seen before. A cunning plan was put in place.
Patpong Museum
Bangkok features in Ricochet, a 1984 documentary-fiction film following David Bowie during his 1983 Serious Moonlight Tour. The museum included references to the film and some footage, which I knew Andy would appreciate.I have been to Patpong Museum a couple of times with Steve of Minburi and another mate, Jarvo, when he was in town. It was a great way to spend a couple of hours, with informative guides who lived through the boom period, telling us all about its long and fascinating history.
Before I went, I didn’t have a clue about what is sometimes called the forgotten war in Laos, or the FBI links with Patpong. I particularly enjoyed sitting in a replica of one of the area's iconic bars, listening to music with a beer and asking questions at the end of the tour. It was sad news when it shut a few months later.
On with the Tour
Anyway, my mates were really impressed when they met me at Sala Daeng Station. It was now time for me to play my part and hopefully get similar reactions. With time being relatively short, I wanted to fit in as much as possible, so long distances were out of the equation.We went downstairs onto the MRT underground railway for a few stops to Sanam Chai, after I had initially taken us in the wrong direction, prompting the sort of sarcastic comments northern Englishmen seem to have perfected.
History and Palaces
The choice of this station was twofold. On the way out, it has its own free museum, with artefacts, and the old foundations of long-gone temples and walls. Just outside is Museum Siam, which I pointed out to my guests. We walked north past Wat Pho and then the Grand Palace.Sanam Chai Road is perfect for those short on time or not wanting to spend money, but who still want to see such magnificent sights. Across the road there’s the pretty Saranrom Park, Saranrom Palace, and the Ministry of Defence, all excellent for taking photos of, with views back across the road to the Grand Palace.
Walking past Sanam Luang and ignoring the hawkers wanting to take us on tuk-tuk tours or advising us that the palace was closed, we headed to Tha Chang Pier. It was another ride on the Chao Phraya Express Boat for me, something I never tire of, especially when I see the smiling faces of those who haven’t been on before.
Boat Rides and Chinatown
I cannot emphasise enough what a great way this is to kick back and enjoy the views on the river bus. The most you pay for any journey is 50 THB (£1.10), with many of the fares being half that, and you can get off anywhere you please. It is one of Bangkok’s biggest bargains.Most boats go as far as Sathorn, while some continue to Asiatique, a large open-air mall that occupies the former docks of the East Asiatic Company and provides fun for all ages. I would personally recommend a nighttime visit. On this occasion, we alighted at Ratchawong.
The lads were certainly surprised by the vibrancy of the indoor market I took them through, especially having to avoid those riding motorbikes. Onwards we walked to Plaeng Nam Road, a street famous for its hanging sign advertising Shark’s Fin and Bird’s Nest soup, which were duly photographed.
Andy’s wife is French, and I’d told him all about her countryman enticing passers-by to enjoy a beer outside his establishment. Sure enough, there he was with his familiar “glug glug” universal catchphrase, as we enjoyed some ice-cold refreshments before moving on, as we still had plenty to fit into the afternoon.
A Train Ride Through the City
The reason for our relative haste was that we were walking to Hua Lamphong Railway Station and wanted to arrive around 4.30 pm. We were going to catch the train that eventually continued to Chachoengsao but get out at Phaya Thai, but I wanted my mates to have time to look around the wonderful old station before we did.Both my pals had said they wanted to travel on a traditional Thai train, so this fitted the bill perfectly. The journey took just over 10 minutes and went over level crossings as vehicles queued and through railway communities by the side of the track. What superb entertainment for just 2 THB each.
It's another recommendation, as you can easily transfer onto the BTS Skytrain when you get off and continue to many of Bangkok's main tourist areas.
We walked back towards the city along Thanon Phaya Thai, across a busy intersection, to Ratchathewi Station. At the bottom of its eastbound steps lies CoCo Walk, an indoor precinct with bars and restaurants, which is popular with Thais each evening.
Further Discoveries for my Friends
It was just opening when we arrived, but we found somewhere ready to serve us food and drinks. Once again, my visitors were impressed, having been to somewhere they didn’t know of. I’m sure it was stored for future reference as their hotel was just a few minutes’ walk away.After emptying the beer tower between us, I showed them Chaloemla Gardens, otherwise known as Graffiti Park. It’s another place worth going to if you want to take photos of the superb street art. And, of course, it’s the scene of a dramatic penalty shoot-out as described in “A Fun Day Exploring Downtown Bangkok”.
It was time for me to head off, but not before I led my friends to Feat Lab, an excellent craft beer bar. I continued around the corner to catch the Saen Saep Canal Boat back to Bangkapi from Saphan Hua Chang Pier.
The afternoon had been everything I'd hoped for. My friends went away with some great memories, while I returned home to Taew, who had been at work and couldn't join us, full of enthusiasm rather than beer. A truly happy ending indeed.
If you enjoyed this story, feel free to check out my YouTube Channel, where I share videos about everyday life in Thailand, local football, and travel across the country.
Thanks for reading.
Comments
Post a Comment