How I Navigated Thailand's Yearly Visa Requirements
Moving to Thailand permanently was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Sorting out the visa wasn't quite so enjoyable. Looking back, I made a few mistakes that caused unnecessary stress, so here's how I navigated my first few years.
Sound Advice
Visa rules change regularly, so nothing here should be treated as official advice. This is simply the route I took and the lessons I learned. Always check the latest requirements before making any decisions.
As I was over 50, it allowed me to apply for an OA long-term visa, sometimes referred to as a retirement visa. However, it wasn’t just as simple as heading to an immigration office for an interview and filling out the forms.
My Experience
Initially, I entered Thailand on a tourist entry before extending my stay on arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport. When it was nearly expired, I went to the Chaeng Wattana Immigration office in Lak Si. It's a huge building with countless departments inside, and rather daunting on a first visit.
When I went, the visa extensions had been moved to the Muang Thong Thani office, which is why it’s imperative to study up-to-date information to save time and stress.
Another tip, and something worth remembering, is that government offices close for lunch between 12 and 1 each day. I recommend hanging around to get in first when they reopen and filling out as many forms as possible, saving further time when it’s your turn.
Visa Services
With an extension, I then asked around and checked online regarding the various offices offering visa services. I chose one in Pattaya that friends recommended. This is where, in hindsight, I should have gone about things differently.
The next hurdle was meeting the financial requirements. I needed a Thai bank account and the required funds to have been in it for long enough before I could apply for a one-year visa. Opening the account proved easier said than done, which is why I eventually turned to a visa agency.
The ideal approach would have been to open a Thai bank account as early as possible and transfer the required funds. The problem was that opening a bank account wasn't always straightforward. Some banks and branches were far more accommodating than others, which is where complications increase.
Therefore, how would you transfer the cash without a permanent address and any other required paperwork without a bank account? And that is where the visa agencies are so useful. Especially when applying for the first time.
The agency I chose offered a deal that opened a Bangkok Bank account, the 3-month visa and a 1-year visa, all in one go, although I would have to return to collect it several weeks later. It all sounded ideal, but there was a downside that only became apparent later.
Important Considerations
For instance, the first OA 1-year visa costs substantially more. The agents have unofficial arrangements with those working in immigration. In my case, while I was unaware at the time, it meant my visa was approved in Chonburi, Pattaya’s office.
That became problematic when I tried to renew under my own steam a couple of years later, exacerbated by another agent renewing me in Trang in the intervening year. It means that your TM30, which is the form proving where you live, is in a different location from where the visa is granted.
That is no problem for those who will stay in Pattaya. It can take some unravelling for those moving elsewhere. Everyone knows the agents exist, but sometimes you can encounter an awkward official who makes life difficult.
Why are Agents Popular?
The reason for the popularity of agents? It’s because many of those wanting to stay in Thailand don’t have the required finances to go through official channels to be eligible for a visa. In my case, there was no real excuse other than naivety.
Anyway, the service was excellent, apart from needing to get on the back of a courier's motorbike to go to immigration, where I was ushered through the crowds and into an office where my photo was taken, and I signed lots of forms. Motorbikes terrify me, adding to the experience.
Sure enough, a few weeks later, I received a message telling me that everything was ready to collect. Handily, it coincided with a football match in Pattaya I wanted to attend. All was good, but it would lead to lots of stress before I eventually sorted things out a couple of years later.
Looking back, I'd have done things a little differently. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have opened a Thai bank account as early as possible, transferred the required funds and dealt directly with immigration once I understood the latest requirements. It might have taken a little more effort, but it would have saved me several headaches later.
Thanks for reading.



Comments
Post a Comment